Friday, March 23, 2012

Lone WolfLone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I read this because a co-worker gave it to me, thinking I would enjoy it since I enjoyed reading about the "werewolves" in the Twilight series of books. I have only read one other book by Jodi Picoult, namely Nineteen Minutes. I find that her books tend to be a little too much "real life" for me. I am just a sucker for a happily ever after ending and this book doesn't really deliver that.
It took me some time to get into the story, partially due to Picoult's rather choppy writing style, jumping between characters narrating the story. When you start off with a very serious car accident, with one person requiring surgery and one person in what appears to be an irreversible coma, you don't really see how there can be a happy outcome. Cara is the seventeen-year-old daughter of a man who has made a career out of learning about wild wolves by living with them. Cara and her father have been in a serious accident and she has had to have shoulder surgery and he is in a coma. Her mother, Georgie, who is divorced from her father and remarried with a set of young twins, calls Cara's older brother, Edward, who left home to go live in Thailand when he was eighteen after an altercation with his father. Edward comes home to find that he must make a decision about whether to discontinue life-support on his father. The story is told alternately by Cara, her father Luke, Edward, her mother Georgie, her stepfather Joe, and a temporary guardian with the laughable name of Helen Bedd. There was some very interesting information about wolves, and I did find myself involved with the characters after a while, but as I said before, there was no real way to have a happy ending to this story. If you like Jodi Picoult, you will probably enjoy this story as well. If you are looking for light reading and a happy ending, you might want to give it a pass.



View all my reviews

No comments: