Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
My very first book I downloaded on my new Kindle DX! I usually would not have said that I would like books with vampires, but after reading and loving the Twilight saga (8 times), I decided to try the Sookie Stackhouse stories. I have watched the first season of True Blood on HBO and enjoyed those, so I was hopeful that the books would be similar. As usual, the book was even better than the TV series. I downloaded the book as soon as I received my new Kindle DX this morning and finished it by the end of the day. Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress living in Bon Temps, a small town in northern Louisiana. She has what she thinks of as a disability - she can hear the thoughts of everyone around her. In the world that Sookie lives in, vampires have come "out of the coffin" and live among humans, partially thanks to a Japanese manufactured artificial blood product called Tru Blood. When Bill Compton, a vampire, comes into Merlotte's, the bar where Sookie works, Sookie is secretly thrilled. Her relationship with Bill begims with her saving him from being "drained" by Mack and Denise Rattray who want to sell his blood on the black market. To Sookie's surprise, she can't hear Bill's thoughts, and finds it delightful to be around someone without being constantly assaulted with their thoughts. Unfortunately, the small town of Bon Temps is suddenly seeing young women murdered in a grisly way. The story is romance, mystery, and adventure all in one. These stories are more graphic than the Twilight saga and would probably not be suitable for school libraries, but I really enjoyed this story and plan to read the others in the series.


View all my reviews.

No comments: