Saturday, June 28, 2008

The City of Ember (1st Book of Ember) The City of Ember by Jeanne Duprau


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I want to start this review by saying "WOW!". I really had trouble putting this one down. Lina is a twelve-year-old girl living in the city of Ember. It is her last day of school when she and her classmates will receive their jobs that they will work at for the next three years. Lina hopes to work in the greenhouses or be a messenger, but when she chooses her job from the bag held by the mayor, it says "pipeworker", which means that she will be working in the pipeworks below the city where all of the water comes from. She is disappointed. Her friend Doon receives the job of messenger and offers to trade jobs with her because he wants to do a job that will save the city of Ember. The city is in trouble, because the generator that provides the only light in the city has begun to break down causing blackouts. Lina and Doon must find a way to help the city, but how. I read this book so quickly that I feel that I need to reread to catch all of the details I might have missed, but I am too anxious to read the next book. I will definitely order this one for my school library!


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Ross said...

I read this book to see if I want to read it to my students next year, and liked it so much I went out and bought the other two books in the series. A very enjoyable book, I'd have to agree with you.