Sunday, June 01, 2008

City of Light City of Light by Lauren Belfer


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
This adult novel was a recommendation from one of my listservs. It is a historical novel centered on the city of Buffalo, New York at the turn of the last century (1900). The main character is the headmistress of private school for girls. Much of the story involves the use of Niagara Falls to product electricity and the battle between preservationists and investors. I learned many interesting things about the production of electricity and also about President Grover Cleveland and President James McKinley as I read this book. The story tended to drag a bit, and at the end, I find that I feel unsatisfied with the outcome of the story. It didn't really have an unhappy ending, but it definitely was not happy. If you enjoy historical novels, this is probably a good example.


View all my reviews.

No comments: